Search This Blog


Fleetwood Elementary School

For those of you who thought the New Westminster School was interesting, Fleetwood Elementary School is another for the haunted collection.

It is said that not only are there cold spots and orbs often seen in this more-then sixty-year-old building, but doors open and close as well.

Now orbs and cold spots, some may say “oh, that’s nothing.” But then you hear after that there is a ghost seen in the basement area of the school, and that it could be the ghost of a teacher. You might think twice before wondering about its empty halls and taking the chance of being touched.

New Westminster 
Secondary School

Most people never connect a public school with a haunting, but there are rare occasions when events change that. The New Westminster Secondary School happens to be one of the rare cases.

In the history of the school, there have been a few accidents. These have altered the fabric of the school and allowed some very odd events to have taken place.

In the early 1970’s it is said that a boy drown in the basement pool. Since that time, some security-guards have reported seeing the body of a boy floating in the pool, only to leave and come back or look away—only to find the boy gone. Other guards have reported a man’s voice being heard to shout in the archery range. The archery range just happens to be in the basement as well.

Now you may think that would be enough for one school. However, the stories don’t end there. Security cameras have also been known to catch the apparition of a boy in the woodworking shop, who died in the late 1980’s.
If this is not enough, there are always the orbs that are said to be caught in the music room as well.

The one thing I can say after reading about the events at this school, is to never judge a building by it cover.

The Irving House

The Irving house is located in New Westminster, BC.

It’s a historic home with a very interesting past. The home was built in 1865, and lived in by Captain Irving and his family for many years. It remained in the Irving family up until about 1950, when it was sold to the city of New Westminster.

If someone takes a tour of this home, one would find a rich history running back to the Alaska and BC gold-rush era; everything from the past lives of Captain Irving and his family, to the architecture, furniture and pieces displayed for viewing.

From what is said, it’s one of the oldest homes in the Lower Mainland area. And it also comes with a secondary history, not as well known or reported; of this house being haunted.

Some of these reports include unexplained noises, the walls in the main dining room seeming to shiver, a voice asking for a name to be said—and that’s just the main room area.

It is said that when people walk up stairs, there are a few trophies on the walls, and if looked upon sometimes seem to be watching you. Some people have been heard to say that they have seen them turn to follow them.
There is also the story told by some, of seeing an indentation in the mattress, located in the master bedroom of what some feel is Capt. Irving himself, whom had passed away in that very bed.

I can say that this is a fantastic home to visit whether you believe in this part of the history or not. Take a look—and watch the trophies.

Fairacres, Burnaby, BC

The Most Haunted House 

At Deer Lake

Now when people talk about a haunted house in BC, you’re sure to hear of Fairacres—also known as the Ceperley Home and now a-days The Burnaby Art Gallery.

The history of this home is long and filled with both good and bad peices of history. Because of this colorfull past, there has arisen may tales of the hauntings that go on in and out side this historic home.

The home was built between 1909 and from what I can find, complete in 1911 for a estamated $150,000 dollars. It was also bought by the Benedictine Monks in 1939 and was only in 1992 desgnated a heritage home.

 The haunting which have been said to exist include, the hearing of strang sounds and voices. But the most popular one is seeing Mrs. Ceperley her self walking around.

Have a visit sometime to the The Burnaby Art Gallery and see if you are luck or unluck enough to see or hera something strange.

If you wish to learn a lot more visit Mr. Robert C. Belyk and check out his books on haunted places’s. You will find it very interesting indeed.

The Haunted Mather’s House

The Mather’s House is only a very short walk from the Anderson Home.
This is once again a heritage home owned by the City of Burnaby and was also a family home built in 1912, bought by the same Benedictine monks long with the Anderson Home.

The one big difference is, this used to be convalescent home for soldiers wounded during WW1. It is also now a heritage home and even now is a creepy home to visit.

Some of the better known events are by- gone toys being thrown around and strange lights being seen. Others still have been so frightened that they no longer return.

If this home interests you and have the nerve, have a visit some time and see if you will want to come back again.

The Haunted Anderson 

House of Deer Lake

Robert F. And Bessie Anderson

The Anderson Home is located at 6450 Deer Lake Avenue, in Burnaby B.C.
It’s just one of many historic homes located in and around the Deer Lake area. The house was built in 1912, and the Anderson family lived there until just after WW1.

The home was eventually bought by the Benedictine Monks in 1939 and used as a seminary, until around 1971 when the city of Burnaby purchased the home. In 1992 it was designated it as a heritage site.

Now most people would look at, read about this property and say it’s interesting. But what’s not told often is the creepy side of this home. Some of the events proclaimed to have happened include: hearing the sound of music, and the more disturbing footsteps on the stairs.

If you are ever in the area of Deer Lake, take a closer look at the homes—you may see more then u expect. To find more out about this house and much more, visit the site of writer, Robert C. Belyk or read his books. Well worth the time.

Water Street Vancouver

As one of the most well-known and visited streets in Vancouver— if not the oldest street, Water Street has a history and look that can only be experienced.

However you may want to skip this one bit of history. It is said that at night and if you are in the right or wrong place at the right time, one may see the apparition of a decapitated Asian mine-worker walking along the street.
One may believe one of two stories told of this figure.

One is the man’s head was taken by thieves during an attack or attempted robbery.

The second is that the Asian man was walking the rails at night and caught his foot was stuck until he lost his head to the next train to come by.

You may choose which one to believe, but either way, you may not want to see this ghost late some night especially if you are alone.

The Old Spaghetti Factory

This old building which now holds The Spaghetti Factory is located in the Gastown area of Vancouver and is one of the most noted hot spots in the area.
Witnesses at the restaurant—mostly employees—have seen the apparition of a man dressed in old clothing sitting in the trolley car and seems to like to rearrange the cutlery on the tables.

This figure has also been seen in the ladies restroom, so watch out ladies. For the most part, the employees seem to get the most activity because it seems the spirits are more active after the restaurant closes for the evening. Long-term employees have claimed to hear their names being called and when looking having found no one around to say anything in the first place.

Some say that the figure that has been seen is a conductor. The building now sits on top of an old underground railway where that was once a tragic accident, which may account for why this spirit seems to hang around the trolley can at this location.

If you ever have a chance to dine there, take a look around and check out the picture of trolley car they have hung up—a very close look.
You just may see the figure sitting on the steps of the car within the picture.

Hotel Vancouver

The Hotel Vancouver is one of the best, well-known hotels on the West Coast of British Columbia. It is unmistakable with its cooper roofs, gargoyles and service surpassed by few.

This land-mark is known for many things, but one stands out is the Lady in Red.

The lady is said to be a ghost that haunts the 14th floor, she appears dressed all in red to those who see her.

The accounts that have been reported include; the lady being seen walking on a ledge that does not exist on the building. The hotel elevator seems to make unscheduled stops on the 14th floor and when the doors open the lady appears along the hall seeming to float as she moves.

So next time you stay at this great hotel, be sure to make a stop on the 14th floor and see if you can catch a glimpse of The Lady in Red.

Hycroft Manor

This manor home is one of the older and more beautiful manors in British Columbia.

The beginning of constructed was in 1909, and completed in 1911, for Alexander Duncan McRae. In 1942 it was given to the Veterans Affairs for use of a convalescent hospital until 1960, where it was then was bought by a woman’s club, which it remains today.

The activity reported in Hycroft Manor is widely varied. Including the sighting of an elderly man dressed in a World War 1 uniform that some believe to be General McRae himself. Others have seen a woman appear, who some believe might be McRae’s wife.

With Hycroft Manor having been used as a hospital in the past, people have seen up to three apparitions of WW1 vets, and at other times a nurse from around the same time period.

Bernie Legge Theater

Wow. That’s all that needs be said about this historic Theatre in New Westminster BC.

Having been around for over 50 years, it has had a wide variety of fantastic shows, and even more incredible actors and actresses. The activity that is known to have taken place in the theatre seems to be well known. Instances that range from visual sightings of the Lady In White in the main theatre to sounds of footsteps on the stage. These are heard by people alone in the building, leaving the employees feeling the need to leave and get out of the theatre as fast as possible.

If you ever find yourself looking for an excellent show then I highly recommend The Legge Theater.

And who knows you may even get a glimpse of the Lady In White, if you are lucky. 

The Keg Restaurant

This restaurant is not only a great place to eat with its very tasty steaks and its mouth watering prime rib. You may find yourself wondering just what and or who may be watching you eat.

The Keg, located in New Westminster, British Columbia was once a railway-station for the city of New Westminster. It has an in-depth history and is exciting as the city itself.

Some of the things said to have happened have, include the a little girl being seen up stairs, a woman seen walking in front of the serving area and a woman’s face being seen by patrons in a mirror, while no one was sat beside them.

If you are feeling adventurous: go for dinner and spend some time looking around, once again you never know what might pop up.

The Orpheum Theatre

The Orpheum Theatre was built in Vancouver in 1927, and has been a main stay for actors and actresses showing their talents ever sense.

It has a history that is well known. But also, it has another which few may know.

One of these is that the presence of a spirit has been seen many times over the years. It is said that during a vaudeville act, an acrobat died by accident, and has been wondering the theatre ever sense.

The Haunted Hatley Castle

Located in the heart of picturesque Victoria, British Columbia, the Hatley Castle is a beautiful Victorian replica of a 15th century Edwardian castle built in 1908 by a wealthy rail baron named James Dunsmuir. At the time the castle was built, Dunsmuir was serving as the Premier and Lt Governor of British Columbia. Subsequently, the Hatley Castle hosted several of the area’s most elite and formal parties and high-society functions. 

Tragedy struck the Dunsmuir family a few years later when their son, James Jr., was killed in World War I while serving in the military. James died in 1920 and his wife, Laura, and daughter, Eleanor, lived at the estate until Laura died in 1937 – Eleanor passed away a mere six months later. 

In 1940, the castle was purchased and turned into the Royal Naval College of Canada, where some 600 volunteer reserve officers were trained. In the years since then, the training facility eventually became known as the Royal Roads Military College.
Since the academy’s inception back in 1940, there have been countless reports of apparitions and paranormal activity. The ghost of a woman, believed to be that of Laura Dunsmuir, has been seen lurking in dark corners and stairwells and warns young cadets that they may be subject to the same fate that her son was. The apparition of James Jr. has also been seen in his full military uniform, wandering around the lake near the Japanese Gardens on the property. Another ghost that haunts the old castle is Annabelle, a young servant girl who, after her love affair with a young trainee went sour during the early days of the academy, jumped to her death from a high window. 

Today, the academy is known as the Royal Roads University; though it may have changed hands and names throughout the years, stories still persist regarding the ghosts that haunt Hatley Castle.

Thanks Holly F. for finding this story at


In December 1965, Hetty and Douglas Fredrickson moved into a fourteen room house on Williams Street in Chilliwack, BC. Months later, they would move back out, after the most strange and unsettling experience of their lives.

Shortly after moving into the house, they started noticing odd things happening. They would hear the sound of heavy breathing, footsteps on the stairs, and an intense smell of perfume in the air. In one unused bedroom there was an old iron bed and a chest of drawers, whose drawers would often be found open when they should have been closed. Once, Hetty saw the misty glowing shape of a human. While these incidents were frightening, what really scared Hetty was a vivid reoccurring nightmare she had started having.

In the dream, she saw a woman lying on a hall floor. She wore a bright red and yellow dress and had a look of pure terror on her face. Her arms were raised to partially cover her head, and she could see dust blowing around the woman.

When everything had first begun to happen, everyone made jokes about ghosts being in the house, but it wasn’t until doors started opening on their own, and the footsteps became louder, that Hetty went to town to ask residents about the history of the house that the real fear set in. The house had been built in 1912 and there were no blueprints or records of it. There had been a fair number of people who had lived in the house, and there was no way to trace a woman who had a red and yellow dress.

There had been a period of ten years, which two men committed suicide in the house. But out of respect, Hetty did not inquire into their stories anymore, not wanting to upset their families. There was another woman who was supposed to have been killed in the house and then cemented in the chimney, but no one was ever able to verify that rumour.

Eventually, Hetty decided she had to do something. Find some way to prove what was going on in her house. Being an artist, she decided to do a painting of the ghost, hoping that the ghost would be motivated to move the painting as it did the other furniture.

She sat in the unused room for a few nights, trying to get the right motivation for the painting. She hoped that the furniture would be moved in her presence, or that she would see something. She eventually painted a large picture of the ghost-like figure, and since she wanted to make it somewhat mysterious, Hetty decided to leave half the face blank.

She placed the painting between the iron bed and the chest of drawers, and then checked often to see if the painting had been moved at all. The painting never moved, and Hetty tired of this experiment.

After a few weeks, Hetty started to show some of her students the painting she had done. One day, she noticed that there was a slight difference in the appearance of the ghost woman. She thought that it was perhaps her imagination getting the better of her, and didn’t say anything to anyone about what she was seeing. As each day went by after that, she couldn’t help but notice the painting still changed.

The half of the face she had left bare started to show features. The half that showed the woman’s face had started to change as well. The look of terror was going away and the face went from looking female to looking more masculine. Now the people who had seen the painting before, had started to notice the changes too.

The next thing she knew, the media was curious and started hanging around her house after hearing about the stories and the changing painting. Thousands of people showed up at her house to try and get a glimpse of the painting, while phone calls and tons of letters made normal-life impossible.

Meanwhile, Hetty was still trying to figure out what was happening. She started snooping around her house. She found a hidden room in the turret (which was supposed to be just for decoration) and was shocked when she saw the same dust she had seen in her reoccurring dream. It turned out the dust was particles from the deteriorated insulation. But other than the dust, the room was empty.

Next, Hetty found a boarded up laundry chute, going from the top floor of the house to the kitchen. Nothing was to be found in the laundry chute. She then started talking about tearing the walls down to search the cemented chimney and her husband Douglas stepped in and forbad her from doing it.

With all the attention her painting and the house was getting, it was becoming impossible to live there anymore. Douglas, who was a logger, used to go off to logging camps and be gone for a few weeks at a time, and Hetty had never minded being able to spend some time by herself, but now she did not want to stay alone in this house.

She eventually went back home to Holland to visit her parents and have a break, then moved to Vancouver Island with Douglas and their children. After leaving the house in Chilliwack empty for awhile, they rented it out, only later to sell it. Eventually, it was finally it burnt to the ground. Whatever secrets that house held—we won’t probably ever know.

Meanwhile, Hetty still had the painting with her. She had many people looking to buy it from her, but couldn’t bring herself to do it. She eventually donated the painting to charity, bringing in a lot of money for the orphans she donated it for, the story ending on a positive note.

Hetty, Douglas and their children moved on in their lives and as to where that painting is now—I do not know. As to what resides where their old house was, I do not know that either.

But hopefully if people live on that location, they are no longer disturbed by the unknown.